welcome FROM THE DIRECTOR
“Baltimore School of Music is built on the idea of redefining what a community music school should be. Founded on the idea of a sustainable, socially-drive business, we aim to foster a welcoming environment to all students - kids, teenagers, and adults - of all backgrounds and abilities.We focus on teaching not only notes on a page, but creating a life-long love in our students of classical music and music performance. We encourage our students to perform, attend concerts, and collaborate with others whenver possible.Our teachers and staff are passionate advocates of classical music education and strive to give each student the personal instruction needed to make them excel as musicians.If you've always wanted to play an instrument and never had the time or if you are a professional musician looking for a teacher to guide you, we welcome you to our school and are here to help.”
-James Robert Lowe
Director, Baltimore School of Music
Baltimore School of Music is a community music school committed to offering the highest quality music instruction to people of all ages, skill levels, and backgrounds.
- Our social mission is as vital to our success as any potential profit
- Music education should be accessible to students of all ages and backgrounds
- To approach teaching with compassion, encouragement, and support
- We believe in the impact and integrity of classical music
- Performance is a central component of music education
- Foster a supporting, collaborative environment for our students and teachers
- Welcome traditionally underserved demographics - including early childhood education, adults, and retired persons
- Build and maintain a sustainable business model without relying on non-profit status
- Be environmentally friendly and use sustainable/low-impact materials whenever possible
- Support our community through volunteering, sponsorships, and other programs
Baltimore School of Music, LLC was founded in January 2012 by James Robert Lowe while a graduate student studying Guitar Performance at the Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University. An advocate for music education, Lowe saw a need in Baltimore where students of all ages and abilities could pursue their passion for music performance.
The school was originally located in Mt. Vernon area of Baltimore where teachers – many of whom were fellow Peabody students – taught music lessons out of their apartments after class and on the weekends. Soon, a need for more space was apparent and in 2013 Baltimore School of Music moved to it’s current home at Second Presbyterian Church.
SUPPORTING OUR COMMUNITY
Baltimore School of Music is proud to support our community, including the following organizations:
The National Guild for Community Arts Education supports and advances lifelong learning opportunities in the arts. Baltimore School of Music is a proud member and supporter.
Baltimore School of Music is a supporter of BCGS, who hosts classical guitar concerts, masterclasses, lectures, and other events in Baltimore. You’re sure to find BSM’s teachers and students at most concerts and events.
Baltimore School of Music is a member of the Maryland Green Registry. View BSM’s profile and find out about the sustainable practices we take to be an environmentally friendly business.
Baltimore School of Music has sponsored the Johns Hopkins Cycling Team since 2012. Attend an event, bike with the team, or support the team by ordering a kit with our logo!